Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Lang vs Dialect

    I remember back a few years ago, I wrote about a constructed human language that I was keen on explaining to newcomers. Now, however, I am trying to bridge the gap between a specific language and what could be said about language as a whole. This process takes the abstract language of LL and complies a way of speaking about it. And because the language of LL is abstract, we need to start speaking in concrete language. The language of LL is philosophic, while human languages are practical. So in order to move out from the clouds and onto the earth, I would like to talk about the distinction between Lang on the one hand and Dialect on the other.

    First, there is Lang, which is the state of a perfect language as represented in a given grammar book. Let's talk about French. There is a perfect state of French only as it is described by a given community who knows the French language. This community would seek to preserve their lang by keeping polished records of the best French and would seek to distribute them through an educational system supported by the French government. Now I would like to suggest that this lang does not exist in the everyday speech in the streets of Paris, but it exists as idea promulgated by the service members of the French academy, which is a concrete example of how a lang might develop.

    Second, there is Dialect. For this concept, let us look at German, another foreign language I have attempted to learn. This is a good example because you have the division of Low and High German. High German is spoken in the south of Germany, while low German is spoken by some of the northerners. The reason that German is divided into High and Low is because of the geographic conditions of Germany. The region in the south of German is generally mountainous, while the north is generally flat land, so the division resulted from the geographic terrain. Location has a lot to do with how a language is spoken. 

    Thus, the language of LL is abstract, so we need to start talking about specific languages that show the Lang vs Dialect (LvD) distinction to understand LL from the perspective of the human, which is what ordinary languages describes. And French and German were good examples illustrating the difference of LvD, which is how to tell if a language is in its 'pure' form or if is in its 'dirty' form. Next I don't what I will write about. So I will probably just read a book and then you can read my review of it. I might talk about sentences and how to read them, so continue to try to grasp my meanings as I stream them to you.

No comments: